The Schtick: This is a Kilchoman expression that is matured fully in Oloroso sherry casks. It is named after a notable lake near the distillery. It is bottled without filtration or coloring.
ABV: 46% ABV
Nose: Toffee, raisin bread. Syrupy, lots of confectioners sugar. Plums and currants.
Taste: Medium mouth feel, raisins and bready sweetness. Ash and light burning wood.
Finish: Short, loaded with rubber, burning ash, light plum.
Overall: Man, the nose on this was just bonkers. I thought I was in for a crazy treat, but the palate was disappointing and the finish just kept it up. That’s not to say that they were bad or offensive, but the nose brought huge sherry, tons of syrupy goodness and then it just vanished. I liked this, but I had hoped this would climb higher based on first whiff.
Thanks for reading!
Other Kilchoman Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1060 – Kilchoman 2009 Sherry Cask
- Review #1012 – Kilchoman 10yr Ex-Bourbon Single Cask, Distillery Exclusive
- Review #1010 – Kilchoman 10yr Single Cask Oloroso
- Review #1008 – Kilchoman 100% Islay, 8th Edition
- Review #1006 – Kilchoman Loch Gorm
- Review #1004 – Kilchoman Sanaig
- Review #1002 – Kilchoman Machir Bay, Ray’s Wine and Spirits Selection
- Review #860 – Kilchoman Impex Series Cask Strength PX Finish
- Review #119. Kilchoman 5yr ex-bourbon
- Review #116. Kilchoman Sherry Cask