The Schtick: This is a release in Old Forester’s Vintage dated line of expressions. Called the “Original Batch” this is supposed to harken back to George Brown’s orignal batching process. It is “minimally filtered” – whatever that means.
Distiller: Brown Forman
Bottler: Brown Forman
ABV: 45% ABV
Nose: Brown sugar, maple, banana bread. Lightly musty, some definite youth.
Taste: Thin, musty, hot. There’s a lot of heat here, for not a lot of flavor. Some maple, more banana bubble gum notes, faint clove.
Finish: Medium length, heat is better here but a bit too hot still. Oak, pepper, faint clove, some vanilla.
Overall: Not really remarkable. Thinner than I would like, and hotter than I would like, without bringing much flavor to the table.
Thanks for reading!
Other Brown-Forman Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1127 – Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof
- Review #1019 – Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel Barrel Proof Bourbon, Woodman’s Selection
- Review #1017 – Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel Barrel Proof, Kenwood Liquors Selection
- Review #1013 – Old Forester 1920: Prohibition Style
- Review #1011 – Old Forester 1910: Old Fine Whiskey
- Review #1009 – Old Forester 1897: Bottled in Bond
- Review #1007 – Old Forester 1870: Original Batch
- Review #886 – Old Forester Single Barrel, Otto’s Selection
- Review #696 – Benriach 25yr “Authenticus”
- Review #517. Jack Daniels No 7
- Review #497. Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof 5 8 2016
- Review #254. Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof
- Review #253. Jack Daniels 150th Anniversary Release
- Review #252. Jack Daniels Rye
- Review #249. Old Forester 1920
- Review #240. Old Forester 86pf
- Review #76. Old Forester Signature