The Schtick: This is a single cask of Kilchoman that is one of their oldest: 10 years old. It was matured in an Oloroso sherry butt
ABV: 55.6% ABV
Age: 10 Years
Cask Filled: December 13th, 2007
Bottled: August 27th, 2018
Nose: Toffee, caramel, rich currant and blackberry. Yeasty, fresh baked bread. Brine, light ethanol, soapstone and pepper.
Taste: Sweet, loaded with honey and raspberry, as well as some blackberry. Ashy, woody smoke, lots of minerality.
Finish: Long, rich, but hot. Lots of charcoal, berries, currants and smoldering wood.
Overall: This was also really nice, but the nose continued the trend of being the best part. I had hoped for more syrupy sherry characteristics to blend with the ashy structure, but no dice. That said, this was still very enjoyable, and a pleasure to drink through.
Thanks for reading!
Other Kilchoman Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1060 – Kilchoman 2009 Sherry Cask
- Review #1012 – Kilchoman 10yr Ex-Bourbon Single Cask, Distillery Exclusive
- Review #1010 – Kilchoman 10yr Single Cask Oloroso
- Review #1008 – Kilchoman 100% Islay, 8th Edition
- Review #1006 – Kilchoman Loch Gorm
- Review #1004 – Kilchoman Sanaig
- Review #1002 – Kilchoman Machir Bay, Ray’s Wine and Spirits Selection
- Review #860 – Kilchoman Impex Series Cask Strength PX Finish
- Review #119. Kilchoman 5yr ex-bourbon
- Review #116. Kilchoman Sherry Cask