The Schtick: This is the third release in Old Forester’s vintage based line of expressions. This release is supposedly made in pursuit of replicating Old Forester’s production during Prohibition – although there is no word of how that actually differs. The main sticking point of this release is the boost in proof – it is bottled at 115 proof.
Distiller: Brown Forman
Bottler: Brown Forman
ABV: 57.5% ABV
Nose: Honey, rich nougat. Fresh hot pralines. Nutty sweetness, peanut brittle. Caramel. Sweet vanilla cream. Light pipe tobacco.
Taste: Medium to thick mouth feel. Sweet honey. Nougat. Caramel. Light oak presence. Graham cracker. Rich and sweet with some good structure. Faint clove and pipe tobacco. A good bit of heat though.
Finish: Long rich and sweet. Lightly spicy, some honey and caramel. Vanilla cream, cocoa and nutty sweetness.
Overall: Really nice, although there is some heat. This is super solid, though, and I’m glad it’s almost universally available. This is easily my favorite entry in the vintage line. Great stuff.
Thanks for reading!
Other Brown Forman Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1019 – Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel Barrel Proof Bourbon, Woodman’s Selection
- Review #1017 – Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel Barrel Proof, Kenwood Liquors Selection
- Review #1013 – Old Forester 1920: Prohibition Style
- Review #1011 – Old Forester 1910: Old Fine Whiskey
- Review #1009 – Old Forester 1897: Bottled in Bond
- Review #1007 – Old Forester 1870: Original Batch
- Review #886 – Old Forester Single Barrel, Otto’s Selection
- Review #696 – Benriach 25yr “Authenticus”
- Review #517. Jack Daniels No 7
- Review #497. Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof 5 8 2016
- Review #254. Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof
- Review #253. Jack Daniels 150th Anniversary Release
- Review #252. Jack Daniels Rye
- Review #249. Old Forester 1920
- Review #240. Old Forester 86pf
- Review #76. Old Forester Signature