The Schtick: WhistlePig is a hybrid spirits operation in Vermont that has previously staked its claim on importing rye whiskey from Alberta to age and bottle in Vermont. In the past, I’ve bumped into some of their single barrel ryes and found them really enjoyable. In recent months, WhistlePig has made a switch to digging up some older MGP rye stock for their 10 year old single barrel barrel proof rye, as well. As a result, I have set out to try 25 WhistlePig single barrel ryes to get a lay of the land. There are one or two non-WhistlePig ryes in here, also, so the stakes are pretty high. All blind, all in. Welcome to the 2019 Ryenaissance .
Let’s dig in.
This is Day 1 out of 25. At this point I have tasted all samples and taken their notes, and then gotten their reveals so that I could fill in the reveal portion at the bottom. Therefore, while you have the luxury of seeing what dram was what as we go along day by day, I was in the dark until day 26. All samples were tasted blind in a new staggered 2 pour setup, before completing the project.
Distiller: Alberta (Canada)
Bottler: WhistlePig (Vermont, USA)
ABV: 57.3% ABV
Age: 10 Years
Nose: Honey, bright pear. Apples, cherry. Caramel, fresh baked bread. Musty rye spice. Pipe tobacco.
Taste: Thick, rich. Copper penny, caramel, toffee, bright clove spice. Sweet vanilla, light orange peel.
Finish: Long, sweet, spicy. Clove, pepper, pipe tobacco. Orange peel, caramel, fresh baked donuts.
Overall: Really enjoyable. Powerful rye presence, with that fruity Alberta touch. Great start to an exciting adventure. Definitely calling this as an Alberta sourced single barrel, and it’s a delicious kick off.
Reveal: WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye Total Wine Selection (Alberta)
Thanks for reading!
Other Whistle Pig Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1043 – WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye, Midway Selection
- Review #1039 – WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye, PA State Fine Wine and Good Spirits Selection, Barrel #386
- Review #1037 – Whistle Pig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye, Spec’s Selection
- Review #1035 – WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye, PA State Fine Wine and Good Spirits Selection
- Review #1033 – WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye, Cox’s Spirit Shoppe Selection
- Review #1031 – WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye, Spec’s Selection
- Review #1029 – WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, Magruder’s Selection
- Review #1027 – WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye Bounty Hunter Selection
- Review #1025 – Whistle Pig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye, Total Wine Selection
- Review #756 – WhistlePig 10 Year Single Barrel, Barrel Proof Rye, Multnomah Whiskey Library Pick
- Review #751 – Whistle Pig 10 Year Single Barrel Barrel Proof Rye, Lukas Selection
- Review #665 – Whistle Pig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye, Lukas Selection
- Review #620. WhistlePig Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye 10yr The Wine and Cheese Place Selection
- Review #476. WhistlePig Cask Strength Single Barrel Vine and Table
- Review #475. WhistlePig Boss Hog V The Black Prince
- Review #416. WhistlePig Single Barrel Cask Strength Bottled for Granite State
- Review #327. WhistlePig Single Barrel KL Select
- Review #147. WhistlePig SiB CS Rye Cork Dorks
- Review #129. WhistlePig 10yr Rye