The Schtick: WhistlePig is a hybrid spirits operation in Vermont that has previously staked its claim on importing rye whiskey from Alberta to age and bottle in Vermont. In the past, I’ve bumped into some of their single barrel ryes and found them really enjoyable. In recent months, WhistlePig has made a switch to digging up some older MGP rye stock for their 10 year old single barrel barrel proof rye, as well. As a result, I have set out to try 25 WhistlePig single barrel ryes to get a lay of the land. They were arranged, poured and blinded by a generous fellow who loves rye as much (or very plausibly more so) than I do. There are one or two non-WhistlePig ryes in here, also, so the stakes are pretty high. All blind, all in. Welcome to the 2019 Ryenaissance.
Let’s dig in.
This is Day ## out of 26. At this point I have tasted all samples and taken their notes, and then gotten their reveals so that I could fill in the reveal portion at the bottom. Therefore, while you have the luxury of seeing what dram was what as we go along day by day, I was in the dark until day 26. All samples were tasted blind in a new staggered 2 pour setup, before completing the project. In case you missed the previous days, here they are:
- Day 1, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, Total Wine Selection
- Day 2, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, Bounty Hunter Selection
- Day 3, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, Macgruder’s Selection
- Day 4, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, Spec’s Selection
Distiller: Alberta (Canada)
Bottler: Whistle Pig (Vermont, USA)
ABV: 59.9% ABV
Age: 10 Years
Nose: Maple, light clove, floral, lots of molasses and some light leather and tobacco
Taste: Rich, hot, lots of flavor here. Super herbal, tons of rye spice, molasses, honey, light confectioners sugar, pipe tobacco and some cracked pepper.
Finish: Long, rich, some heat but not punishing. Floral sweetness, not minty. Brown sugar, tobacco, maple candies, toffee and some cocoa takes us home.
Overall: Really phenomenal. If I had to guess, I’d say this was THH. But what would THH be doing in a WhistlePig series? 🙂 Really strong showing on this one, and highlighting some of my favorite things about a well executed rye. This is the good stuff.
Reveal: WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye Cox Spirits Shoppe Selection
Thanks for reading!
Other Whistle Pig Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1043 – WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye, Midway Selection
- Review #1039 – WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye, PA State Fine Wine and Good Spirits Selection, Barrel #386
- Review #1037 – Whistle Pig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye, Spec’s Selection
- Review #1035 – WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye, PA State Fine Wine and Good Spirits Selection
- Review #1033 – WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye, Cox’s Spirit Shoppe Selection
- Review #1031 – WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye, Spec’s Selection
- Review #1029 – WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, Magruder’s Selection
- Review #1027 – WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye Bounty Hunter Selection
- Review #1025 – Whistle Pig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye, Total Wine Selection
- Review #756 – WhistlePig 10 Year Single Barrel, Barrel Proof Rye, Multnomah Whiskey Library Pick
- Review #751 – Whistle Pig 10 Year Single Barrel Barrel Proof Rye, Lukas Selection
- Review #665 – Whistle Pig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye, Lukas Selection
- Review #620. WhistlePig Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye 10yr The Wine and Cheese Place Selection
- Review #476. WhistlePig Cask Strength Single Barrel Vine and Table
- Review #475. WhistlePig Boss Hog V The Black Prince
- Review #416. WhistlePig Single Barrel Cask Strength Bottled for Granite State
- Review #327. WhistlePig Single Barrel KL Select
- Review #147. WhistlePig SiB CS Rye Cork Dorks
- Review #129. WhistlePig 10yr Rye