The Schtick: This is an independent bottling of peated distillate produced at Tobermory. It was bottled by Gordon & MacPhail and selected for the Napa retailer, Bounty Hunter. It is bottled at cask strength with no filtering or coloring.
Distiller: Ledaig (Tobermory)
Bottler: Gordon & MacPhail
ABV: 53.3% ABV
Age: 22 Years
Nose: Syrupy Dole fruit syrup, pears, plastic, waxed fruits. Oddly Clylelish like. Toffee. Super buttery. I expected a big earthy mineral hit and there’s hardly any of that here. Waffles. Bread-y buttery sweetness.
Taste: Really sweet. Very prominent toffee, caramel, vanilla. Sweet, with some salty minerality. Light ash and smoke, but it’s faint. Rich apple pie notes: maple, apples, pastry.
Finish: Short, ashy, some plastic notes here. More smoky than sweet. Light earthiness.
Overall: This was a really unique dram, and very off profile for Ledaig. The monster fruit character and accompanying sweetness in the palate was really interesting, but I don’t feel compelled to buy a bunch more.
Thanks for reading!
Other Ledaig Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1048 – Ledaig 22yr Gordon & MacPhail 1994, Bounty Hunter Selection
- Review #890 – Ledaig 10
- Review #793 – Ledaig 7yr r/Scotch Selection
- Review #789 – Ledaig 13yr Amontillado
- Review #712 – Ledaig 7yr, Signatory Vintage 2009, Binny’s Selection
- Review #675 – Ledaig 2005 11yr Hermitage Finish (Gordon & MacPhail)
- Review #324. Tobermory 19yr Montgomeries
- Review #323. Ledaig Exclusive Casks 18yr
- Review #310. Tobermory 18yo Old Particular
- Review #275. Ledaig 9yr Signatory Vintage