The Schtick: WhistlePig is a hybrid spirits operation in Vermont that has previously staked its claim on importing rye whiskey from Alberta to age and bottle in Vermont. In the past, I’ve bumped into some of their single barrel ryes and found them really enjoyable. In recent months, WhistlePig has made a switch to digging up some older MGP rye stock for their 10 year old single barrel barrel proof rye, as well. As a result, I have set out to try 25 WhistlePig single barrel ryes to get a lay of the land. They were arranged, poured and blinded by a generous fellow who loves rye as much (or very plausibly more so) than I do. There are one or two non-WhistlePig ryes in here, also, so the stakes are pretty high. All blind, all in. Welcome to the 2019 Ryenaissance.
Let’s dig in.
This is Day 19 out of 26. At this point I have tasted all samples and taken their notes, and then gotten their reveals so that I could fill in the reveal portion at the bottom. Therefore, while you have the luxury of seeing what dram was what as we go along day by day, I was in the dark until day 26. All samples were tasted blind in a new staggered 2 pour setup, before completing the project. In case you missed the previous days, here they are:
- Day 1, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, Total Wine Selection
- Day 2, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, Bounty Hunter Selection
- Day 3, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, Macgruder’s Selection
- Day 4, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, Spec’s Selection
- Day 5, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, Cox’s Spirit Shoppe
- Day 6, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, PA State Fine Wine and Good Spirits Selection
- Day 7, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, Spec’s Selection
- Day 8, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, PA State Fine Wine and Good Spirits #386
- Day 9, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, Midway 135 Selection
- Day 10, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, The Wine and Cheese Place Selection
- Day 11, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, The Wine and Cheese Place Selection II
- Day 12, WhistlePig Farmstock Rye, Release #2
- Day 13, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, Spec’s Selection
- Day 14, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, Spec’s Selection
- Day 15, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, Potomac Wine and Spirits Selection
- Day 16, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, Spec’s Selection
- Day 17, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, Spec’s Selection
- Day 18, WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye, Spec’s Selection
Distiller: Buffalo Trace
Bottler: Buffalo Trace
ABV: 64.4% ABV
Age: 6 Years
Nose: Sweet musty caramel. Fresh baked cake. Sweet butter cream. Werther’s caramels. Light oak.
Taste: Rich and thick palate. Very little heat. Sweet honey, peanuts, peanut brittle. Salted caramel. Oak and pepper develop, as well as some mild growing heat. Lovely Blend of sweet and savory, giving way to some strong bittering structure.
Finish: Long and rich. Really rich nougat note. Some oak. Peanut brittle. Light pepper and pipe tobacco. Strong baking spices. Heat grows to be very strong in the finish, though.
Overall: This was a really interesting ride, and one I really enjoyed. If the heat were a little tamer, this would be exceptional.
Reveal: Thomas H Handy 2018 128.8. Ooh this was a bamboozle, and it got me. Really interesting how tamed the herbal qualities were in this vintage. Could easily pass for something from Alberta.
Thanks for reading!
Other Buffalo Trace Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1074 – Buffalo Trace Antique Collection: Thomas H. Handy Rye 2018
- Review #1001 – Buffalo Trace Antique Collection 2018: George T. Stagg 2018
- Review #958 – Buffalo Trace Antique Collection: George T. Stagg 2017
- Review #895 – Old Weller Antique, NCF Annapolis Whisky Society Selection
- Review #892 – Weller Special Reserve
- Review #883 – Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Booze Boys Selection
- Review #820 – John J. Bowman Single Barrel Bourbon
- Review #758 – Old Weller Antique, NCF Brigante Selection
- Review #719 – Eagle Rare 10yr, WB Store Selection, Barrel #373
- Review #707 – Buffalo Trace’s Ancient Ancient Age (10 Star)
- Review #671 – Blanton’s Straight from the Barrel 4.4.2016
- Review #669 – Blanton’s Straight From The Barrel, Dump: 1/8/2015
- Review #647. Sazerac 18yr Rye 2012
- Review #645. Eagle Rare 17yr 2012
- Review #632. Stagg Jr Batch 7 130pf
- Review #630. Stagg Jr. Batch 9
- Review #628. Old Weller Antique The Last Word Golden Ticket
- Review #626. Old Weller Antique Florida ABC Pick
- Review #624. Old Weller Antique Loch and Key Selection
- Review #616. Old Weller Antique – Bourbon Chasers
- Review #614. Old Weller Antique – Plumpjack NCF
- Review #612. Old Weller Antique – Kentucky Bourbon Festival
- Review #610. Old Weller Antique
- Review #539. Stagg Jr Batch 8 129.5
- Review #503. Eagle Rare 10yr Discount Pick 2017
- Review #428. Elmer T. Lee 2006
- Review #423. Old Weller Antique (Gonomo)
- Review #414. Eagle Rare 10yr Nashville Pick
- Review #409. Bowman Single Barrel Loch and Key
- Review #408. Eagle Rare 10 WI Total Wine Pick
- Review #363. Thomas H Handy Sazerac Rye 2016
- Review #356. Buffalo Trace Total Wine Pick
- Review #349. William Larue Weller 2015
- Review #344. William Larue Weller 2016
- Review #273. Eagle Rare 10 Premier Pick
- Review #214. Eagle Rare 10 Charles Street Pick
- Review #208. Colonel EH Taylor Barrel Proof 127.5
- Review #198. Old Weller Antique Liquor Outlet Pick
- Review #190 – Blantons Straight from the Barrel
- Review #183. Thomas H Handy Sazerac Rye 2011
- Review #177. Weller 12
- Review #151. Thomas H Handy Rye 2015
- Review #150. Thomas H Handy Rye 2013
- Review #149. Thomas H Handy Rye 2014
- Review #148. Thomas H Handy Rye 2012
- Review #100. George T Stagg 2015
- Review #97. Buffalo Trace Mashbill 1 White Dog
- Review #88. Colonel EH Taylor Barrel Proof 127.2
- Review #83. Elmer T Lee 2015
- Review #71. Stagg Jr Batch 5
- Review #70. Stagg Jr Batch 4
- Review #69. Stagg Jr Batch 3
- Review #68. Stagg Jr Batch 2
- Review #67. Stagg Jr Batch 1
- Review #55. Colonel EH Taylor Straight Rye
- Review #54. Colonel EH Taylor Single Barrel
- Review #38 – Old Rip Van Winkle 10yr (2015)
- Review #20 – Colonel E.H. Taylor Small Batch Bottled in Bond
- Review #15 – Buffalo Trace
- Review #8 – Sazerac Rye (Baby Saz)
- Review #1 – Eagle Rare 10 Year
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect