The Schtick: This is a newer release from Bruichladdich under their heavily peated Port Charlotte line. It is matured entirely in ex-cognac french oak casks and bottled at cask strength for the retail travel market.
ABV: 57.8% ABV
Nose: Sweet and rich. Lots of fresh baked bread, yeasty sweetness. Honey, pralines, amond and amaretto liqueur. Lemon, ash, salted caramel. Light brine.
Taste: Medium mouth feel, no heat. Ash, brine and light iodine. Sweeet cream, loads of honey and the sweetness of almond extract. Some light minerality, faint chalkiness. Sweet, complex and interesting.
Finish: Long, rich and ashy. Marine forward brininess, faint fishiness. Signature Laddie lactic sour sweeps in and pairs fairly well with some more yeast and sweetness.
Overall: This was really pretty nice, but didn’t perform as well as the older, age stated, Port Charlotte releases (PC7 and PC12, in particular). That said, Laddie could have done far worse.
Thanks for reading!
Other Bruichladdich Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1122 – Bruichladdich Port Charlotte The Peat Project
- Review #1119 – Bruichladdich 8yr The Organic 2009
- Review #1116 – Bruichladdich Bere Barley 2008
- Review #1084 – Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 2007 CC:01
- Review #1045 – Bruichladdich The Organic 2.10
- Review #1014 – Bruichladdich The Laddie 10, Second Edition
- Review #975 – Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 14yr Single Cask Nation 2002 First Fill Oloroso
- Review #716 – Bruichladdich’s The Laddie 10, First Edition
- Review #686 – Bruichladdich 25yr, Cadenhead’s 175th Anniversary Bottling, Cask #3044
- Review #625. Bruichladdich Port Charlotte PC7
- Review #623. Bruichladdich Octomore 6.1
- Review #619. Bruichladdich Octomore Orpheus
- Review #611. Bruichladdich The Organic
- Review #406. Bruichladdich Rest and Be Thankful 13yr
- Review #398. Bruichladdich Octomore 6.3
- Review #281. Bruichladdie The Classic Laddie 16
- Review #261. Bruichladdich MP007
- Review #201. Bruichladdich Cuvee 382
- Review #200. Bruichladdich Cuvee 640
- Review #171. Bruichladdich Octomore 7.3
- Review #170. Bruichladdich PC12
- Review #169. Bruichladdich PC11
- Review #146. Bruichladdich Octomore
- Review #130. Octomore 7.2
- Review #112. Bruichladdich Waves
- Review #86. Bruichladdich Rocks
- Review #49. Bruichladdich Port Charlotte Scottish Barley
- Review #23 – Bruichladdich: The Classic Laddie, Scottish Barley