The Schtick: This is a single cask from Benriach. It was aged for 12 years in an Oloroso butt and it was bottled at cask strength without any filtering or coloring.
ABV: 58.1% ABV
Age: 12 Years
Nose: Sweet toffee, raspberry jam. Vanilla cream, light caramel. Rich, fruity and syrupy.
Taste: Medium mouth feel. Mild heat. Caramel, vanilla, sweet syrupy jammy fruit. Blackberry, figs, raspberry, light strawberry. More fruity than caramel focused here on the palate. Mild sulfur, mild tobacco notes. Really jammy in general.
Finish: Short to medium in length. Lots of oak here, which blends nicely with more toffee, tobacco, and raspberry and currant.
Overall: This was a really nice single cask, and one that demonstrates that even young casks can perform really well. I’m a big fan of this one.
Thanks for reading!
Other Benriach Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1101 – Benriach 12yr Single Cask, Oloroso Matured, Cask #3105
- Review #1018 – Benriach 11yr Single Cask 2006 Sweet White Wine Hogshead, La Maison Du Whiskey Selection
- Review #696 – Benriach 25yr “Authenticus”
- Review #551. Benriach Single Cask 4300 20yr Peated Sherried
- Review #513. Benriach 18yr Tawny Port Single Cask Astor
- Review #332. Benriach Solstice 17yr
- Review #331. Benriach Septendecim 17yr
- Review #232. Benriach Solstice 17yr
- Review #194. Benriach 12yr Sherry