The Schtick: This is an independent bottling of Glenrothes spirit by Cadenheads that was selected for the Napa, California retailer Bounty Hunter Wine and Spirits. It was matured in a sherry butt and bottled at cask strength without filtering or coloring.
ABV: 56% ABV
Age: 20 Years
Bottle: One of 414
Nose: Rich toffee, sweet cream. Candied almonds and walnuts. Thick syrupy fruits and very prominent sherry sweetness. Toffee, creme brulee and vanilla bean. Light musty tobacco.
Taste: Medium mouth feel, and there is some light heat. Sweet pears, prunes, currant and figs. Rich toffee notes. Musty pipe tobacco, light sulfur. Musty leather. Caramel.
Finish: Long, rich and sweet. There is some ethanol here as well, but it is not punishing. Rich amaretto, toffee, butter cream, stewed fruits and musty richness.
Overall: This is a very strong bottling, and one I wish I had backups of. This is a very complex, older sherried offering and it nails what it sets out to do. If the ethanol was a bit less apparent, this would easily climb an additional rank.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Glenrothes Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1125 – The Glenrothes 20yr Cadenhead’s 1997 Bounty Hunter Selection
- Review #1022 – The Glenrothes 20yr Signatory Vintage 1997, Spec’s Selection
- Review #828 – Scotch Malt Whisky Society 30.100 The Glenrothes 20yr “An Abundance of Fruit Cake”
- Review #819 – Scotch Malt Whisky Society 30.87 Glenrothes 14yr “A Skinny Dipping Dram”
- Review #668 – The Glenrothes 10yr, Abbey Whiskey Exclusive Single Cask #5469
- Review #621. Glenrothes 17yr Signatory UCF
- Review #522. Glenrothes 13yr Single Cask 2003 #5578, Kansas State Selection
- Review #328. Glenrothes Sherry Cask Reserve
- Review #120. Signatory Vintage Glenrothes 11yr