The Schtick: This is a cask strength distillery release from Tobermory that is finished in Manzanilla casks.
ABV: 53.8% ABV
Age: 21 Years
Nose: Sweet honey, caramel. Pralines, honey roasted nuts. Really sweet nose with vanilla bean and a whole lot of raisin bread. No smoke, but there is some minerality and light salinity.
Taste: Honey roasted peanuts, fresh baked bread. Honey, salt and brine, light earthiness and minerality. Faint heat. Lemon, peach, pear. Not syrupy but the wine is there – although faint.
Finish: Long, but more earthy and smoke forward. Some ash here, burning wood, light earthiness. Honey, lemon, peach and a final hit of smoldering, earthy peat. Not a peat bomb by any stretch but compared to the nose and the palate, there is far more ash and stone and much less sweetness.
Overall: I didnt really know what to think of this. I found the transition to be pretty hash and disjointed, but also enjoyed that we started sweet and ended smoky. Not the top of the charts, but well above average.
Thanks for reading!
Most Recent Tobermory Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1500 – Ledaig 13yr SMWS 42.45 “Cocktails on a Tugboat”
- Review #1418 – Ledaig 12yr The Whiskey Exchange 10th Anniversary
- Review #1309 – Ledaig 16yr Gordon MacPhail 1999
- Review #1279 – Ledaig 12yr “Present Future”
- Review #1267 – Ledaig 10yr Single Cask Seasons 2014 “Winter”
- Review #1158 – Tobermory 21yr Cask Strength Manzanilla Finish
- Review #712 – Ledaig 7yr, Signatory Vintage 2009, Binny’s Selection
- Review #324. Tobermory 19yr Montgomeries
- Review #310. Tobermory 18yo Old Particular