The Schtick: This is an annual re-release of a product line established by Macallan in 2017. Classic Cut is a NAS sherry expression from The Macallan that is bottled at cask strength. There is some concern that this release won’t hold up against last years release (which I was quite fond of) but the only way to tell is to try it. Let’s dive in.
ABV: 51.2% ABV
Nose: Sweet nutty toffee, honey and sticky stewed fruits. Raspberry, dates, amaretto and currant. Nutty, sweet, sherry powerful.
Taste: Thin to medium mouth feel. No real heat. Honey, toffee, rich stewed fruits. Sweet blackberry, currant, raspberry and fig. Light musty tobacco.
Finish: Short, a bit hot. Not as much going on here. Toffee, faint stewed fruits, light astrigent plastic note.
Overall: Oh how the mighty have fallen. I rebought several original Mac CC’s but I think that I would easily skip over rebuying this. The most noticeable difference is in the finish.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Macallan Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #313. The Macallan 12yr
- Review #851. Speymalt The Macallan 18yr 1998
- Review #866. The Macallan Edition 1
- Review #872. The Macallan Edition 3
- Review #302. The Macallan No.2
- Review #1063. The Macallan Cask Strength
- Review #152. The Macallan 12yr
- Review #218. The Macallan 18
- Review #485. Gordon and MacPhail Speymalt Macallan
- Review #603. The Macallan Classic Cut
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect