The Schtick: A blend of 10yr OBSV, 13yr OBSF, 14yr OESV and 16yr OESK, this years limited edition falls on Four Roses 130th anniversary. Bottled at cask strength from a small lot of barrels, this bottle always goes fast at release, often commanding impressive secondary prices. Let’s see how it is.
Distiller: Four Roses
Bottler: Four Roses
ABV: 54.2% ABV
Nose: Honey, tobacco, big clove and some rye spice. Really nice, but super on profile for 4R with their herbal spicy note. Toffee, some vanilla, nice oak component.
Taste: Thin to medium mouth feel. Toffee, honey, big powerful spice. Rye, clove, nice herbal component. Lightly minty before a significant molasses note. Musty tobacco rolls in with old oak.
Finish: Short to medium in length, clean dry finish. Little dry for me, a bit oaky and spicy with loads of clove, pepper, oak, light mintiness and some flower lavendar.
Overall: This was an interesting dram. It kinda threw me around like a bull from time to time. Overall, I liked it, but it’s a wild child in that it seems to be attacking several profiles, all over the place. The musty oaky tobacco note in the palate was absolutely delicious, though, and I think this earns good marks as a result. Not my favorite LE from them by a long shot, but I’m a fan nonetheless.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Four Roses Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #564. Four Roses Private Selection OBSF MCs Selection
- Review #432. Four Roses OBSQ Binnys Selection
- Review #1157. Four Roses Small Batch Select
- Review #676. Four Roses Private Selection OESK Mollys Selection
- Review #348. Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition 2016
- Review #542. Four Roses Private Selection OBSV Eagle River Pick
- Review #946. Four Roses Private Selection OBSK Bounty Hunter Wines Selection
- Review #521. Four Roses Private Selection OESK The Wine and Cheese Pick (2017)
- Review #524. Four Roses 2017 Small Batch Limited Edition
- Review #5. Four Roses Single Barrel
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect