The Schtick: This is an independent bottling of spirit distilled at Laphroaig in 2006 and bottled by Malts of Scotland at cask strength, without coloring or filtering, in 2017. It spent the entirety of its life maturing in a sherry hogshead.
ABV: 53.1% ABV
Age: 11 Years
Nose: Sweet plums, honey and wine. Loads of caramel, vanilla and allspice before the pungent sea air sweeps in. Rich rotting fish, muddy peat, ash and smoke. Then, its back to plums, date fruit, currant and rich raisin-y sherry.
Taste: Thin mouth feel but no heat. Sweet and wine forward for sure. Nutty sherry followed by rich syrupy fruits. Raspberry, cherry, blackberry and caramel are most notable. Then ash, some brine and a warming pipe tobacco note.
Finish: Long and sweet with nice oak presence, followed by blackberry tart and rich pipe tobacco.
Overall: This is really nice but cant touch the glory of the previous bottling. Really solid, still, though.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Laphroaig Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #271. Laphroaig Triple Wood
- Review #947. Laphroaig 7yr Handfilled Cask 2011 #3614
- Review #1201. Laphroaig 18yr Malts of Scotland Sherry Hogshead Cask 18001
- Review #949. Laphroaig 12yr Handfill Cask 2006 0666 Bourbon Warehouse 8
- Review #157. Laphroaig Cask Strength Batch 6
- Review #45. Laphroaig Quarter Cask
- Review #46. Laphroaig PX
- Review #973. Laphroaig 5yr Single Cask Nation 2011
- Review #831. Laphroaig Cairdeas 2017: Cask Strength Quarter Cask
- Review #44. Laphroaig 18yr (White Tube)
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect