The Schtick: This is a single barrel of bourbon selected by a local wine merchant, Rileys Wines of the World, from Buffalo Trace. It comes in at 45% ABV and features mashbill 1. I’ve had some real winners from this shop in the past, so I’m curious to see how it is. Let’s dive in.
Distiller: Buffalo Trace
Bottler: Buffalo Trace
ABV: 45% ABV
Nose: Honey, toffee, caramel and bright fruitiness. Mild on the oak, big on cherry, orange peel and mango. Light vanilla, faint cassia, mostly caramel and fruits.
Taste: Medium mouth feel. Honey, peanut brittle, caramel bright orange peel and cherry.
Finish: Long, rich, bit of musty tobacco. Honey, more cherry, and some oak. Good blend of fruits, caramel and oak.
Overall: I could go for a little more oak here, which feels weird to say, but overall I think it’s a winner of a barrel all the same. I’d drink more of this, and I plan to.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Buffalo Trace Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1. Eagle Rare 10yr
- Review #612. Old Weller Antique Kentucky Bourbon Festival Selection
- Review #647. Buffalo Traces Antique Collection: Sazerac Rye 18yr 2012 Release
- Review #803. Blantons Gold
- Review #1147. Wheatley Vodka
- Review #895. Old Weller Antique Annapolis Whiskey Society Selection
- Review #221. Old Charter 10
- Review #671. Blantons Straight from the Barrel 4/4/2016
- Review #820. John J. Bowman Single Barrel Bourbon
- Review #645. Buffalo Trace Antique Collection: Eagle Rare 17yr (Fall 2012 Release)
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect