The Schtick: This is an interesting release from Glenrothes. Containing both 20yr Glenrothes spirit and other Glenrothes spirit, it is matured in a Laphroaig cask. Since this is a NAS release, it must mean there is quite a bit of young spirit in with the older spirit, otherwise Glenrothes would be stumbling over themselves to age state this.
ABV: 40% ABV
Nose: Sweet, fresh baked bread. Pepper, honey, some iodine. Nice fig and apple note, blending well with an ashiness and dead sea things.
Taste: Thin but no heat. More fresh baked bread, honey, apples, and a mild hit of iodine, ash and burning wood.
Finish: Long, no heat again. Sweet, some honey, almond, light pepper. The peat is strongest here, with an ashy iodine heavy finish that lasts a while.
Overall: While interesting, this wasn’t particularly great in any way. I appreciate that it was unique, but even when it was deeply discounted locally…I didn’t feel a need to pick another up. I think that speaks for itself. I’d try it if you can, but one was good for me.
Thanks for reading!
9 Most Recent Glenrothes Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #819. Glenrothes 14yr SMWS 30.87 – A Skinny Dipping Dram
- Review #522. The Glenrothes Single Cask #5578
- Review #828. Glenrothes 20yr SMWS 30.100 – An Abundance of Fruit Cake
- Review #120. Glenrothes 11yr Signatory Vintage
- Review #328. Glenrothes Sherry Reserve
- Review #1022. Glenrothes 20yr Signatory Vintage 1997 Specs Selection
- Review #1125. The Glenrothes 20yr Cadenheads 1997 Bounty Hunter Selection
- Review #668. The Glenrothes 10yr Abbey Whiskey Exclusive Single Cask
- Review #621. Glenrothes 17yr Signatory Vintage Unchillfiltered Collection
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect