The Schtick: Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is a 12 year old, cask strength, release from Heaven Hill in Kentucky. Batches were originally denoted by proof alone, but in recent times, since the bottle re-design, batches now get additional designation to help with tracking releases. I tasted this dram blind and then got the reveal at a later time, so keep that in mind as you read through these notes.
Distiller: Heaven Hill
Bottler: Heaven Hill
ABV: 67.6% ABV
Age: 12 Years
Nose: caramel, perfume, honey, orange zest, clove
Taste: sweet but not sugary, orange, clove, turkey funk
Finish: long and hot but rich and complex. cocoa and oak
Overall: Good but a bit hot. I incorrectly guessed that this would be a RR SiB from the load of turkey clove, orange and funk, but boy what a whiff that was.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Heaven Hill Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #401. Rebel Yell 10 Year Single Barrel
- Review #160. Parkers Heritage Collection: Promise of Hope
- Review #533. David Nicholson 1843
- Review #1111. Exra Brooks 7yr Bourbon
- Review #352. Fighting Cock 6yr Bourbon
- Review #144. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (Batch 10)
- Review #496. J.W. Dant Bottled in Bond Split DSP
- Review #910. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Batch #12
- Review #912. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Batch A118
- Review #914. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C917
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect