The Schtick: I tasted this dram blind and then got the reveal at a later time, so keep that in mind as you read through these notes. Produced by Gerardo Pena, this Raicilla is fermented in oak before a run of double distillations in a steel still. It’s bottled at an eye watering 62.1% ABV.
Distiller: La Venenosa
Bottler: La Venenosa
ABV: 62.1% ABV
Nose: Blue cheese, cream cheese, stanky agave. Loads of earthy breadiness, light ammonia. Stanky, sweet, cheesy.
Taste: Sweet, vinegar / tomato forward. Stanky. Cheese, earth, cream cheese frosting. Smoke, ash, earthiness. Lightly floral. Hot.
Finish: Long, hot, powerful and complex. Ammonia, soapstone, lime, cream cheese frosting, stanky olive juice.
Overall: Weird but fun and wild. The complexity and boquet of unique flavors is unmatched. I’m guessing it is a Raicilla, probably something 55% ABV or so. It turns out this is Venenosa Puntas NASA Selection 62.1% ABV which is holy wow.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1063. The Macallan Cask Strength
- Review #1. Eagle Rare 10yr
- Review #646. Glengoyne 15yr
- Review #568. Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve (Lincoln Road Groundhog)
- Review #612. Old Weller Antique Kentucky Bourbon Festival Selection
- Review #854. Ballechin 11yr Manzanilla Cask Vintage Wines Selection
- Review #530. Kavalan Solist Ex-Bourbon
- Review #1228. Malfy Con Limone
- Review #1231. Talisker Distiller’s Edition 2007-2017
- Review #796. Westland Single Cask #118 Astors Selection
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect