Bottler: Signatory Vintage
ABV: 63.4% ABV
Age: 12 Years
Nose: Powerful rich toffee, vanilla bean, fresh baked cake, almost cinnamon and sugar. Rich apples, clove, melon and creme brulee. Lots going on, with no ethanol.
Taste: Sweet, syrupy and complex. Heat in check. Melons, pears, apples, sticky stewed fruits. Some ethanol grows over time. Lots of fig, blackberry and currant. For refill sherry, this is really showing lots of sherry character.
Finish: Long, sweet and complex. Oak structure is excellent and well in check. A bit of heat, but nothing crazy. Faint sulfur, loads of fig, berry, creamy sweetness and raspberry.
Overall: This is the second Macallan IB I’ve had lately and I thought the previous was great – but this is better. Insert Grand Tour meme here. This is complex, powerful, delicious and hits a lot of boxes.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Macallan Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #875. The Macallan Edition 4
- Review #603. The Macallan Classic Cut
- Review #851. Speymalt The Macallan 18yr 1998
- Review #218. The Macallan 18
- Review #313. The Macallan 12yr
- Review #485. Gordon and MacPhail Speymalt Macallan
- Review #152. The Macallan 12yr
- Review #1193. Macallan Classic Cut 2018 Edition
- Review #302. The Macallan No.2
- Review #1063. The Macallan Cask Strength
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect