Distiller: Caol Ila
Bottler: Scotch Universe
ABV: 57.4% ABV
Age: 12 Years
Nose: Big bold peat. Sea air and brine. Faintly fishy. Lots of brine, some pepper, and then sweet fruits roll in. Syrupy cherry, light raspberry. Creamy strawberry. More pungent peat than fruit, though.
Taste: Medium mouth feel. Some heat. Prickly pepper. Then the smoke, ash, brine and sea air storm in. On the back palate is lots of creamy fruity – syrupy strawberry and raspberry. Heat grows over time. Quite hot by the end.
Finish: Long, but hot and massively peaty. The fruits are gone, replaced by loads of burning plastic, tannic oak, pepper and dead sea things.
Overall: Interesting and powerful, but disjointed and hot. This one could use some work in complexity if it wants to really reach much higher.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Caol Ila Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #534. Caol Ila 17yr Unpeated
- Review #607. Caol Ila 33yr Old Particular 1984 KL Exclusive Single Cask
- Review #652. Caol Ila 2009 6yr Old Malt Cask
- Review #227. Hepburns Choice Caol Ila 6yr Sherry
- Review #987. Caol Ila 10yr Gordon & MacPhail 2007 Binnys Selection
- Review #702. Caol Ila 22yr Cadenheads Small Batch 1991
- Review #75. Caol Ila 12
- Review #714. Caol Ila 10yr Gordon & MacPhail Binnys Selection
- Review #723. Caol Ila 20yr AD Rattray Bottling
- Review #712. Ledaig 7yr Signatory Vintage 2009 Binnys Selection 700312
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect