ABV: 48.9% ABV
Age: 25 Years
Nose: Honey, bandaids, light sea air, raspberry and vanilla. Big, powerful sweetness on the nose with that powerful peat in the background. The sherry is evident.
Taste: Thick, rich mouth feel. For a lower proof release, this has the richness and the thickness Id expect in something with higher ABV. Toffee, honey, fruits, and cocoa. Lots of wine character to blend nicely with the savory, funky, fish forward peat that Laphroaig nails so well.
Finish: Long, rich, powerful. In my opinion, peat doesnt grow tamer over time, it just blends more naturally with other flavors. This is absolutely the case here, as the Laphroaig peat shares the stage with sweet toffee, and the oloroso sherry fruits quite nicely.
Overall: I hate how much I love this OB release, because someday it will cost me lots of money when I break down and buy a bottle. A stunning display of complexity and indulgence.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Laphroaig Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #949. Laphroaig 12yr Handfill Cask 2006 0666 Bourbon Warehouse 8
- Review #43. Laphroaig 10yr
- Review #1203. Laphroaig 11yr Malts of Scotland Sherry Cask
- Review #45. Laphroaig Quarter Cask
- Review #44. Laphroaig 18yr (White Tube)
- Review #732. Laphroaig 10 Year Cask Strength Batch 008
- Review #233. Laphroaig Cairdeas Portwood (2013)
- Review #239. Laphroaig 10 Year
- Review #241. Laphroaig PX
- Review #799. Laphroaig Cairdeas 2018 Fino Sherry Finish
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect