Distiller: Buffalo Trace
Bottler: Buffalo Trace
Brand: Buffalo Trace
ABV: 63.2% ABV
Nose: Bright cherry, and other red fruit. Honey, lots of cocoa, oak and pepper. Strong cola and cherry note, reminiscent of some early batches of ECBP. Some ethanol, not a ton.
Taste: Thick, rich, powerful. Lots of heat, but balanced against a great body and lots of viscosity. Cherry, vanilla cream, oak, toffee and tobacco. Fruity and juicy.
Finish: Long, powerful but a bit hot although not punishing for the proof. Oakier here, which balances well against the cherry, fruits, vanilla and toffee. Not too dry or tannic.
Overall: Well done once again, this release of Stagg Jr seems to show that BT has found and can maintain their impressive stride with the bottling.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Buffalo Trace Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #895. Old Weller Antique Annapolis Whiskey Society Selection
- Review #892. Weller Special Reserve
- Review #67. Stagg Jr. Batch 1
- Review #190. Blantons Straight From the Barrel
- Review #1001. Buffalo Trace Antique Collection: George T Stagg 2018
- Review #1. Eagle Rare 10yr
- Review #149. Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye
- Review #614. Old Weller Antique Plumpjack Selection
- Review #612. Old Weller Antique Kentucky Bourbon Festival Selection
- Review #183. Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye 2011
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect