The Schtick: This is the 6th Batch of Stagg Jr – a ten-ish year old barrel proof release from Buffalo Trace featuring mashbill 1.
Distiller: Buffalo Trace
Bottler: Buffalo Trace
Brand: Buffalo Trace
ABV: 66.25% ABV
Nose: Big toffee. Impressively bold, rich, and savory. Sweet cream, toffee, waffle cone, black cherry and clove.
Taste: Thick mouth feel, rich. Good deal of heat, but lots of chocolate cherry, oak and pepper. Sweet toffee and vanilla bean.
Finish: Long, rich and hot. Cherry cordial, tobacco, pepper and oak. Lots of vanilla bean as well.
Overall: Consistently great. Lots going on, and all of it good. I’m glad to be throwing back to this batch and finding the newest ones trading punches with it. The consistency here is welcome.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Buffalo Trace Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1388. Stagg Jr. Batch 12
- Review #1385. Stagg Jr. Batch 10
- Review #1382. Stagg Jr. Batch 13
- Review #1338. Buffalo Trace Wheated Mash White Dog
- Review #1326. Old Weller Antique Old Oaks Cigars & Liquors Selection
- Review #1226. Buffalo Trace Rileys Wines of the World Selection
- Review #1147. Wheatley Vodka
- Review #1133. Cabin Still
- Review #1074. Buffalo Trace Antique Collection: Thomas H Handy 2018
- Review #1023. The French Quarter: Finished Sazerac Rye
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect