Distiller: Caol Ila
ABV: 58% ABV
Age: 11 Years
Nose: Honey, musty caramel, big peat and a wet slap of briney smoke. Fungal and very marine.
Taste: Thin to medium mouth feel, although there is some heat. Sweet lemon, honey and a slap of peat smoke. Ashy and fungal. Not much else going on.
Finish: Long, really hot. Punishing hot almost. Lots of peat, smoke, ash and brine. Dead sea stuff.
Overall: This is ok. Nothing bad about it, but it’s a hair hot, and also sort of lacking complexity. Could reach higher.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Caol Ila Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1323. Caol Ila 12yr Scotch Universe 2007 Callisto VIII
- Review #987. Caol Ila 10yr Gordon & MacPhail 2007 Binnys Selection
- Review #776. Caol Ila 10yr Gordon & MacPhail Binnys Selection
- Review #723. Caol Ila 20yr AD Rattray Bottling
- Review #714. Caol Ila 10yr Gordon & MacPhail Binnys Selection
- Review #712. Ledaig 7yr Signatory Vintage 2009 Binnys Selection 700312
- Review #702. Caol Ila 22yr Cadenheads Small Batch 1991
- Review #652. Caol Ila 2009 6yr Old Malt Cask
- Review #607. Caol Ila 33yr Old Particular 1984 KL Exclusive Single Cask
- Review #534. Caol Ila 17yr Unpeated
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect