Bottler: Whistle Pig
ABV: 54.6% ABV
Age: 13 Years
Nose: Brown sugar, toffee, lightly herbal. Not too minty, not a lot of dill. Some fruitiness.
Taste: Medium to thick on the palate. Toffee, some copper penny. Orange peel, caramel. Faint cocoa. Pretty nice. Heat is in check, almost some mint but it’s well behaved.
Finish: Long but hot. A bit too hot here. Sweet toffee, the dill is much more apparent here. The MGP is undeniable. Still delicious, but growing a bit more aggressive here.
Overall: I like this but it’s a bit hot, and kind of goes off the rails at the end. The nose is sublime, though. It’s still a good rye pick, for sure, but in a hotly contested field, there are many other single barrels out there reaching farther.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent MGP Expressions I Have Reviewed:
] [–fields= ] [–format= ]>Review #1502. Whistle Pig 10yr Single Cask Cask Strength Rye Karma Selection
- Review #1499. Bourbon Street Wine and Spirits Barrel Bandit Batch 1 Release
- Review #1487. Whistle Pig 10yr Single Cask Cask Strength Rye Central Florida Bourbon Pickers “Year of the Pig” Selection
- Review #1262. Smooth Ambler Old Scout 11yr Single Barrel
- Review #1234. Blaum Bros Oldfangled Knotter 12yr Bourbon
- Review #1118. Bulleit Rye
- Review #1094. Whistle Pig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye 5 Star Liquor OWS 2018 Selection (MGP)
- Review #1086. WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye Reg Stone MGP
- Review #1083. WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye “Pig Casserole” Wine + Whiskey County Selection
- Review #1080. Whistle Pig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye 5 Star Liquor OWS 2018 Selection (MGP)
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect