The Schtick: This is a pretty interesting release. This is a single cask of rye picked by Bourbon Street Wine and Spirits from Barrell. It’s 14 years old, the provenance is unknown (to us) and it’s a bruiser at 73.06% ABV. Let’s dive in.
Selection: Bourbon Street Wine and Spirits
ABV: 73.06% ABV
Age: 14 Years
Nose: Rich apple, brown sugar, some toffee and nougat. Sweet overall, faint peanut but very little. Light and fruity.
Taste: Medium mouth feel. Hot, bitter, varnish. Interesting earthy quality, loaded with pepper and allspice. Bitter oak and earth. Some astringency, mild funk note like a mild hop influence.
Finish: Short, but punishing and rough. The dirty, earthy astringency and musty varnish note isnt welcome, and covers up the delightful notes from the nose that I liked so much.
Overall: Barrell. I thought we were friends. What are you doing.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Undisclosed Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1496. Kentucky Owl Rye Batch #1
- Review #1478. Blackadder Red Snake Cask #49
- Review #1475. Blackadder Red Snake Cask #50
- Review #1387. J. Mattingly LEX Redeye
- Review #1253. Campeltown Blend Cadenheads PBS
- Review #1222. Kirkland London Dry Gin
- Review #1208. Jefferson’s Reserve Pritchard Hill Cabernet Total Wine Selection A-204
- Review #1197. Single Cask Nation Blended Malt 12 Yr FF Sherry
- Review #1163. L’Art de l’Exceptionnel 20yr Woodwinter Cognac 1993 Vintage
- Review #1145. The Kraken Rum
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect