Distiller: Buffalo Trace
Bottler: Buffalo Trace
Brand: Pappy van Winkle
ABV: 47.8% ABV
Age: 23 Years
Nose: Sweet cream, rich oak and some toffee. Old musty tobacco, cedar, pine and unsurprisingly…oak. A lot of oak. A ton of oak. Some red berries.
Taste: Medium on the palate, although there is no heat. Sweet cream, red berries, powerful oak and tobacco. It coats the palate nicely, but it immediately leaves a bitter essence behind.
Finish: Short, bitter, tannic and drying. Like a bonkers aggressive Cali cab dialed up to 11, the finish here is so quick to disappate and leave bitter oak and pepper behind without a hint of moisture.
Overall: This is really something, but it’s not for me. Price tag and rarity alone, this much oak is overbearing and manages to sap enjoyment from the notes I do really like by accentuating a bitter oak note that I don’t love. A bummer, but I’ll happily take the 15 year in favor any day. Bourbon is in a weird place where it’s probably preposterous to designate one hyper expensive hyper rare bourbon better than another hyper rare hyper expensive bourbon in preference since neither can truly be easily found, but for a solid yard stick…a good single barrel of Buffalo Trace will top this without much trouble.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Buffalo Trace Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1488. Eagle Rare 10yr Bourbon Street Wine and Spirits Selection
- Review #1480. Old Weller Antique Fine Wine and Good Spirits Selection
- Review #1444. Colonel E.H Taylor Amaranth Grain of the Gods
- Review #1411. Pappy Van Winkle 15yr
- Review #1399. Stagg Jr. Batch 11
- Review #1396. Stagg Jr. Batch 6
- Review #1388. Stagg Jr. Batch 12
- Review #1385. Stagg Jr. Batch 10
- Review #1382. Stagg Jr. Batch 13
- Review #1338. Buffalo Trace Wheated Mash White Dog
0 | Unscored | New Make Spirit or Personal Selection.
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect