Bottler: Four Gate
Brand: Four Gate
ABV: 59.7% ABV
Age: 9 Years 9 Months
Nose: Rich and nutty, sweet and filled with orange peel, pepper, clove and some nice tobacco. Doesn’t seem to be terribly young or ethanol forward initially.
Taste: Medium mouth feel, coats the palate well but doesn’t hang forever. Hot hot hot though. Lots of heat. Sweet toffee, some apple butter, cinnamon, clove, light orange peel note.
Finish: Long, hot but rich. Lots of tobacco, pepper, honey, praline and orange peel. Interesting stuff. Drinks a bit hot, for as old as some of these barrels are supposed to be in the blend, but it isn’t punishing. Just something to note.
Overall: Overall, this is a very competent bourbon. It’s rich, full of good flavors. It’s a bit hot, but at 60% ABV, I guess its sort of warranted. I’ve had many a KC SiB that drank more well behaved than this. I’d be surprised if this wasn’t turkey, or part turkey. The orange marmalade note usually sticks out to me with that clove for WT, but I’ve had a fair shake of single barrels from other places that can pull off a good hoodwink. Long and short of it, this is good bourbon. It’s actually very good bourbon. I’m thankful my ratings are insulated from price, though, because in my opinion, this isn’t a good $200 spend.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Undisclosed Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1554. Grangestone 12yr Scotch Whiskey
- Review #1552. Navazos Palazzi Ron 2020 23yr Rum
- Review #1524. Bozal Sacatoro
- Review #1508. Barrell Craft Spirits 14yr Single Barrel V220 Rye Bourbon Street Wine and Spirits Selection
- Review #1496. Kentucky Owl Rye Batch #1
- Review #1478. Blackadder Red Snake Cask #49
- Review #1475. Blackadder Red Snake Cask #50
- Review #1387. J. Mattingly LEX Redeye
- Review #1253. Campeltown Blend Cadenheads PBS
- Review #1222. Kirkland London Dry Gin
0 | Unscored | New Make Spirit or Personal Selection.
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect