Distiller: Buffalo Trace
Bottler: Buffalo Trace
Brand: Van Winkle
ABV: 45.2% ABV
Age: 20 Years
Nose: Leather and pepper on the nose first before a hit of tannins and some oak. Cherry, vanilla, a hint of pepper and some ccooa. The tannins are heavy on the nose but not dominating, and I’m really enjoying that bright cherry note.
Taste: Medium mouth feel, though it coats the palate nicely. Not too rich, but plenty going on. Vanilla bean, warm toffee and caramel, some cherry. All the hallmark notes of a nice wheater here, and they carry surprisingly well for the lower proof. On the back palate the oak really storms in, starting to dry out things and wisp away some of that sweet dessert flavor.
Finish: Long long finish, but really oaky, tannic and dry. It’s a bit too oaky here for me, and drinks like a big Cali cab leaving things bone dry as they pack up and move on.
Overall: Oerall, this is pretty darn good. I like it better than the 23yr, but not as much as the 15yr. The oak is just a bit too heavy handed here. If that finish were buttoned up a little better, this could easily go higher like the 15yr release. The palate is really nice, and hits all those dessert notes that I love to see in a bourbon with a higher age statement.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Buffalo Trace Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1581. Van Winkle Family Reserve 13yr Rye 2015
- Review #1575. Sazerac 18yr Rye 2015
- Review #1570. Pappy Van Winkle 23yr 2019
- Review #1488. Eagle Rare 10yr Bourbon Street Wine and Spirits Selection
- Review #1480. Old Weller Antique Fine Wine and Good Spirits Selection
- Review #1444. Colonel E.H Taylor Amaranth Grain of the Gods
- Review #1411. Pappy Van Winkle 15yr
- Review #1399. Stagg Jr. Batch 11
- Review #1396. Stagg Jr. Batch 6
- Review #1388. Stagg Jr. Batch 12
0 | Unscored | New Make Spirit or Personal Selection.
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect