The Schtick: This is a sample of a single barrel from Evan Williams, a Heaven Hill expression. Barreled on August 8th, 2011 and bottled on June 15th, from dumped barrel #889. I tasted this initially while comparing some other Evan Williams expressions on a stream with a friend, then circled back for a full review the following day. It’s been a while since I’ve had some of these, but they’ve always been an excellent value, so I’m looking forward to trying a few more soon. Let’s dive in.
Distiller: Heaven Hill
Bottler: Heaven Hill
Brand: Evan Williams
ABV: 43.3% ABV
Age: 7 Years 10 Months
Nose: A bit light on the nose but loaded with toffee, some nice oak, a hint of musty tobacco. Rich compared to other EW in this price range, and a bit of an upgrade on the nose as well.
Taste: Thin to medium on the palate but entirely pleasant. Rich brown sugar, really delicious nougat, some toffee, light honey and some tobacco here as well. Faint fruits like raspberry.
Finish: Short and a hair hot, but complex with lots going for it. Finish is more like raspberry and cocoa, with a hint of vanilla and some toffee.
Overall: Really interesting single barrel, and really quite good. Very good. Delicious single barrel here, with much more going on than expected.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Heaven Hill Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1505. Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond 13yr Limited Edition 2005
- Review #1483. Parkers Heritage Collection 8yr Rye
- Review #1465. Elijah Craig Small Batch Tippins Selection
- Review #1462. Elijah Craig Small Batch Raleigh Bourbon and Banter Selection
- Review #1459. Elijah Craig Small Batch Cedar Hills Beaverton Selection
- Review #1441. Elijah Craig Rye
- Review #1435. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C919
- Review #1420. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof B519
- Review #1286. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Batch 11
- Review #1254. Elijah Craig Gift Shop Bourbon “Grenade”
0 | Unscored | New Make Spirit or Personal Selection.
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect