The Schtick: This is a review of a bottle I tried blind – a friend poured it and gave me the reveal when I handed in my notes. Let’s dive in.
ABV: 42% ABV
Age: 13 Years
Nose: Lightly funky, lots of brown sugar. On the sweet side, but not too cloying (looking at you mystery #1). Some fruits, namely papaya, and some bready sweetness.
Taste: Sweet on the palate here. Lots of brown sugar, honey, toffee and then some light earthiness. Fairly savory, but still leaning sweet. This reminds me a lot of a couple rums from the XXX/One selection, but it’s not quite as complex. I’m certain this is a rum at this point, and it’s a sweet one.
Finish: Medium in length, grows a hair bitter. More dirt and earth, though it’s still sweet. Really prominent toffee, amaretto, cocoa, cream.
Overall: This isn’t bad, but it’s a little sweet for me. Especially that amaretto note. I”ll guess this is a rum, lightly dosed, maybe around the 10yr mark. I don’t think there is any wine involved here. Proof around 44-47% ABV if I were guessing. It’s fine, but not exceptional. It was revealed to me to be Plantation Jamaica 2002 Grand Terroir, which I’m not too disappointed about. A 10yr Jamaican, finished for 3 years in Ferrand casks. Really sweet, though. Not particularly funky. Interesting.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Undisclosed Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1597. Rolling Fork 11yr Rum
- Review #1589. Four Gate Whiskey Company Foundation Batch 3
- Review #1554. Grangestone 12yr Scotch Whiskey
- Review #1552. Navazos Palazzi Ron 2020 23yr Rum
- Review #1524. Bozal Sacatoro
- Review #1508. Barrell Craft Spirits 14yr Single Barrel V220 Rye Bourbon Street Wine and Spirits Selection
- Review #1496. Kentucky Owl Rye Batch #1
- Review #1478. Blackadder Red Snake Cask #49
- Review #1475. Blackadder Red Snake Cask #50
- Review #1387. J. Mattingly LEX Redeye
0 | Unscored | New Make Spirit or Personal Selection.
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect