The Schtick: This is an entry level release from the blenders at Penelope bourbon. Using a four grain mashbill, this bourbon is targeted to deliver a combination of both easier drinking and lower price. We’ve all had a lot of MGP at this point, myself included, so this should be pretty easy to judge based on their stocks. For what it’s worth, I like the no frills design, but since you can’t drink the label, I say we dive in. Let’s do this.
Disclosure: Penelope Bourbon asked me to review this and sent some along. You can read my ethics statement here.
ABV: 40% ABV
Nose: Musty, lots of pear, apple and a bit of rising bread. The youth is clear here, and while not offensive, it isn’t really doing any favors.
Taste: Thin to medium mouth feel, lots of honey and almond, some toffee and vanilla. Sweet and really classic bourbon profile here with a good deal of cinnamon, vanilla, oak, etc. Still young though, the must is there.
Finish: Short and inoffensive. Lots of cream, honey, vanilla, toffee and almond. Really supple finish, though not a ton going on.
Overall: Alright, honestly this isn’t amazing. It’s young, and it’s still working out what its going to be. The barrel proof is far far far better. Once this particular bottle gets over that hump of the young note here and there it should be smooth sailing. On the other hand, this goes great in a whiskey sour.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent MGP Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1502. Whistle Pig 10yr Single Cask Cask Strength Rye Karma Selection
- Review #1499. Bourbon Street Wine and Spirits Barrel Bandit Batch 1 Release
- Review #1487. Whistle Pig 10yr Single Cask Cask Strength Rye Central Florida Bourbon Pickers “Year of the Pig” Selection
- Review #1417. Belle Meade Cask Strength Reserve Batch 1905
- Review #1378. J. Mattingly White Elephant 69% ABV
- Review #1262. Smooth Ambler Old Scout 11yr Single Barrel
- Review #1234. Blaum Bros Oldfangled Knotter 12yr Bourbon
- Review #1118. Bulleit Rye
- Review #1094. Whistle Pig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye 5 Star Liquor OWS 2018 Selection (MGP)
- Review #1086. WhistlePig 10yr Single Barrel Rye Reg Stone MGP
0 | Unscored | New Make Spirit or Personal Selection.
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect