The Schtick: This is the barrel proof release from Penelope, geared towards more discerning drinkers. Also a blend of 3 mashbills from MGP, this is released at barrel proof. Let’s get to it.
Disclosure: Penelope Bourbon asked me to review this and sent some along. You can read my ethics statement here.
ABV: 58.3% ABV
Nose: Sweet and cream filled – honey, vanilla bean, almost a nice lemon note. Orange peel, pepper, light tobacco. The MGP notes are there, and they’re always pleasant.
Taste: Medium mouth feel. Some heat, but nothing too wild The first thing I notice is lots of vanilla, some praline and roasted walnuts. Some fruits, like apple and pear join some orange peel, some pepper and clove. A bit of oak which ties things up nicely. I can tell on the back palate that this is on the younger side of things, theres a bit more heat here and a hint of malt, but it’s very competent so far.
Finish: Long and sweet here. The finish may be my favorite part – lots more tobacco here which is odd to find in younger bourbons. Tobacco, biscuits, toffee, pepper and honey all make an appearance.
Overall: Overall, this is pretty nice. There’s no ignoring the youth, but this is competently sourced, and this blend lends some much needed uniqueness to a sea of MGP products available to customers. I like this. It’s not life changing but it’s good, and I am curious to see what other releases we may see from Penelope since they are just getting off their feet.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent MGP Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1614. Penelope Four Grain Bourbon
- Review #1502. Whistle Pig 10yr Single Cask Cask Strength Rye Karma Selection
- Review #1499. Bourbon Street Wine and Spirits Barrel Bandit Batch 1 Release
- Review #1487. Whistle Pig 10yr Single Cask Cask Strength Rye Central Florida Bourbon Pickers “Year of the Pig” Selection
- Review #1417. Belle Meade Cask Strength Reserve Batch 1905
- Review #1378. J. Mattingly White Elephant 69% ABV
- Review #1262. Smooth Ambler Old Scout 11yr Single Barrel
- Review #1234. Blaum Bros Oldfangled Knotter 12yr Bourbon
- Review #1118. Bulleit Rye
- Review #1094. Whistle Pig 10yr Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye 5 Star Liquor OWS 2018 Selection (MGP)
0 | Unscored | New Make Spirit or Personal Selection.
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect