The Schtick: This whiskey review is the 3rd release of Belle Meade Black Belle – a bourbon whiskey that is finished in imperial stout casks and bottled at cask strength, low as it may be. Last time I had this was at the tail end of a tasting when my palate was bonkers shot, so I’m looking forward to giving this a proper review. Let’s dive in.
Bottler: Nelsons Green Brier
Brand: Nelsons Green Brier
ABV: 47.5% ABV
Nose: Sweet and malty, rich and cocoa-y. Toffee, butter, caramel. More sweet savory – no fruit and hardly any oak to be found.
Taste: Whew, interesting on the palate. The stout is definitely there. Malty, roasty and toasty. Sweet brown butter, toffee, vanilla and s’mores note. The beer note is inescapable – but it works here.
Finish: Short to medium in length, again it is very stout forward. This is all good things, as I quite like stouts, but the Belle Meade character is sort of lost. Marshmallow, waffle cone, strong malt backbone all see this one out to pasture.
Overall: Alright, so I like this, but I also really like stouts. If you do not like stouts, I expect that this may not be for you. It is really well done, though, and I will call it very good because it has quite an array of great notes – especially on the nose. If you wish that your Belle Meade gave up some fruity character and took on a maltier, faintly lactic, marshmallow forward character, this will check all your boxes.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent MGP Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1617. Penelope Four Grain Barrel Strength Bourbon
- Review #1614. Penelope Four Grain Bourbon
- Review #1502. Whistle Pig 10yr Single Cask Cask Strength Rye Karma Selection
- Review #1499. Bourbon Street Wine and Spirits Barrel Bandit Batch 1 Release
- Review #1487. Whistle Pig 10yr Single Cask Cask Strength Rye Central Florida Bourbon Pickers “Year of the Pig” Selection
- Review #1417. Belle Meade Cask Strength Reserve Batch 1905
- Review #1378. J. Mattingly White Elephant 69% ABV
- Review #1262. Smooth Ambler Old Scout 11yr Single Barrel
- Review #1234. Blaum Bros Oldfangled Knotter 12yr Bourbon
- Review #1118. Bulleit Rye
0 | Unscored | New Make Spirit or Personal Selection.
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect