The Schtick: This is a single barrel whiskey with an interesting setup – 11 years aged MGP that is then finished for 2.5 years in Oregon Pinot Noir casks. This selection was picked by B&B and was bottled at barrel proof.
Bottler: Bull Run
Brand: Bull Run
ABV: 62.67% ABV
Age: 13.5 Years
Nose: Rich toffee, caramel, some oak and strawberries. Pungent and rich, savory and sweet. This whiffs like a smore and a strawberry milkshake together, with some nice oak bundling them together.
Taste: Sweet caramel, toffee, nutter butter cookies. Strawberry cream, thick and rich dessert notes. This is thick on the palate, coats nicely, heat perfectly in check. Man, this is nice. Creme brûlée, faint cocoa. Tobacco. Divine.
Finish: Long, rich and complex. Peanut butter cookies first, followed by caramel, creme brûlée, satisfying oak and some cocoa. Fantastic and desert forward, this finish goes on forever.
Overall: This is excellent. There is no way around it. The base spirit and the finish interact really nicely, complementing each other wonderfully. That Peanut Butter cookie note is delightful, and blends well with the rest of what’s going on. I”m a fan. A huge fan. Excellent
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent MGP Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1625. Belle Meade Black Belle 2019 Release
- Review #1617. Penelope Four Grain Barrel Strength Bourbon
- Review #1614. Penelope Four Grain Bourbon
- Review #1502. Whistle Pig 10yr Single Cask Cask Strength Rye Karma Selection
- Review #1499. Bourbon Street Wine and Spirits Barrel Bandit Batch 1 Release
- Review #1487. Whistle Pig 10yr Single Cask Cask Strength Rye Central Florida Bourbon Pickers “Year of the Pig” Selection
- Review #1417. Belle Meade Cask Strength Reserve Batch 1905
- Review #1378. J. Mattingly White Elephant 69% ABV
- Review #1262. Smooth Ambler Old Scout 11yr Single Barrel
- Review #1234. Blaum Bros Oldfangled Knotter 12yr Bourbon
0 | Unscored | New Make Spirit or Personal Selection.
1 | Disgusting | So bad I poured it out.
2 | Poor | I wouldn’t consume by choice.
3 | Bad | Multiple flaws.
4 | Sub-par | Not bad, but many things I’d rather have.
5 | Good | Good, just fine.
6 | Very Good | A cut above.
7 | Great | Well above average
8 | Excellent | Really quite exceptional.
9 | Incredible | An all time favorite
10 | Perfect | Perfect