Bottler: Smooth Ambler
Brand: Smooth Ambler
Selection: Austin Bourbon Hunters
ABV: % ABV
Age: 5 Years
Nose: Kind of closed off. Not super impressive, but plenty going on to be interesting. Honey, toffee, hint of cocoa and some pepper. Faint cinnamon. Very reminiscent of much MGP out there today, but the quality is there. Yum.
Taste: Sweet caramel, pepper, dash of honey. Light melon. Nice caramel note and a hit of toffee. A bit hot, but the mouth feel more than makes up for it. Pretty impressive, to be honest.
Finish: Very much an MGP finish with rising bread, pepper, toffee and a dash of cinnamon. A bit hot, but well balanced, which is all good things.
Overall: I like this. It has a lovely palate, with a hint of spice and heat. Priced well, proofed well, it’s exactly what it needs to be. That toffee note on the palate is a big favorite of mine, and a hint of cinnamon on the finish really seals it in.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent MGP Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1654. Bull Run Oregon Pinot Finish B&B Selection
- Review #1625. Belle Meade Black Belle 2019 Release
- Review #1617. Penelope Four Grain Barrel Strength Bourbon
- Review #1614. Penelope Four Grain Bourbon
- Review #1502. Whistle Pig 10yr Single Cask Cask Strength Rye Karma Selection
- Review #1499. Bourbon Street Wine and Spirits Barrel Bandit Batch 1 Release
- Review #1487. Whistle Pig 10yr Single Cask Cask Strength Rye Central Florida Bourbon Pickers “Year of the Pig” Selection
- Review #1417. Belle Meade Cask Strength Reserve Batch 1905
- Review #1378. J. Mattingly White Elephant 69% ABV
- Review #1262. Smooth Ambler Old Scout 11yr Single Barrel