ABV: 56.6% ABV
Age: 11 Years
Nose: Rich wine, honey and pralines. No peat on the nose, a hint of grain. Some buttery biscuit, toffee candies and caramels play nicely with the wine character. Ethanol is nowhere to be found.
Taste: Rich and oily on the palate – syrupy and decadent. Coats the palate nicely, and the ethanol is present but in its place. Sweet creamy wine, lots of grape, toffee and praline. The peat is present and much more vibrant here – some stewed fruits, burning wood, minerality and a hint of ash. Well qualified pepper character keeps the sweetness in check.
Finish: Long finish, rich with both wine and that Longrow malt character I love so much. Heat tapers nicely, letting the warm sourdough, sweet date fruit and supple wine character shine.
Overall: Excellent from start to finish, this bottling demands attention and holds it nicely. Great balance of sweetness, peat and malt. Huge fan.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Springbank Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #783. Springbank 11yr Local Barley
- Review #778. Springbank 15 Year First Fill Demerara Cask
- Review #708. Springbank 14yr Bourbonwood
- Review #684. Springbank 12yr Cask Strength (re-visit)
- Review #650. Springbank 15
- Review #336. Springbank Burgundy 12yrs
- Review #251. Springbank 10yr Marrying Strength Distillery Exclusive
- Review #243. Springbank 20yr Rum Cask
- Review #159. Springbank 14yr CS Fino Sherry
- Review #158. Springbank 12yr Cask Strength