The Schtick: Today’s review comes to us in the form of Hooten & Young 12yr American Whiskey. A 12yr sourced whiskey (no mention of bourbon on the label) distilled by our friends in Indiana at MGP and bottled by our pals in Florida at Hooten & Young. Selected by Master Sommelier George Miliotes, this is an interesting release, so I’m looking forward to giving it a go. Let’s dive in.
Disclosure: Hooten & Young asked me to review this, and sent some along.
Bottler: Hooten & Young
Brand: Hooten & Young
ABV: 46% ABV
Age: 12 Years
Nose: Strong vanilla, maple, honey and praline notes initially. Fruity, bright – not the standard MGP presence. Hooten suggests you may find notes of cream, apple, maple and vanilla, and the apple note is certainly prominent. Faint pine, some light oak character and a bit of brown sugar. Not mega complex, but what’s there is pleasant and inviting.
Taste: Thin to medium on the palate. A bit of heat, but nothing wild. Feels about right for 46% ABV. Strong notes of apple, lemon, honey and nuts. Pralines, slivered almonds, brown sugar and almost a faint rummy quality. On the sweet side, not a ton of oak for the age, but sweet and approachable.
Finish: Much longer finish than expected. This is where things hit really nicely. Apple pie, some cherry, hint of molasses and tobacco. Still a bit light on structure, but the sweet notes hang in there with solid balance.
Overall: An interesting dram for sure. It’s sweeter, lighter in profile, and manages to hit some notes that I don’t find in a whiskey too often. It reminds me of a cross between an apple pie and one of those decadent Amish shoo fly pies that’s heavy on maple and brown sugar. I think a little more oak would give this great life, but it’s really good as is. It’s certainly not mundane, and I’ll give it credit for that.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent MGP Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1709. Smooth Ambler Old Scout Austin Bourbon Hunters Selection
- Review #1654. Bull Run Oregon Pinot Finish B&B Selection
- Review #1625. Belle Meade Black Belle 2019 Release
- Review #1617. Penelope Four Grain Barrel Strength Bourbon
- Review #1614. Penelope Four Grain Bourbon
- Review #1502. Whistle Pig 10yr Single Cask Cask Strength Rye Karma Selection
- Review #1499. Bourbon Street Wine and Spirits Barrel Bandit Batch 1 Release
- Review #1487. Whistle Pig 10yr Single Cask Cask Strength Rye Central Florida Bourbon Pickers “Year of the Pig” Selection
- Review #1417. Belle Meade Cask Strength Reserve Batch 1905
- Review #1378. J. Mattingly White Elephant 69% ABV