The Schtick: This is a combination of mashbills from an undisclosed distiller (though not hard to guess) containing a wheated mashbill and a high rye mashbill. This combination is then finished for 6 months in cabernet sauvignon barrels. No age statement here, but this expression is bottled at 48% ABV. Let’s get to it.
Disclosure: LuxRow asked me to review this, and sent some along.
Distiller: Heaven Hill
Bottler: Lux Row
Brand: Daviess County
ABV: 48% ABV
Age: 4 Years
Nose: Sweet caramel, honey, a bit of toffee and oak. Sweet, a hint of jammy fruits and tannins. Vanilla, a bit of cream. Overall, it’s a sweet bourbon nose with a hint of jam to it. Minuscule pepper influence.
Taste: Sweet on the palate, though there is a fairly thin mouth feel. Toffee, light oak, some jammy fruity and a bit of honey. Not especially rich, but plenty going on to stay interesting. The wine finish is present and easily discerned, which is a nice touch.
Finish: Medium finish – the heat is well executed, and this expression leaves a pleasant toffee, honey, jammy red berries and caramel presence behind as it departs.
Overall: Overall, pretty nice for something this young. Not exceptionally complex or powerful, but it’s interesting and succeeds in exemplifying what a wine finish can do to a bourbon of this age – and it does it well.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Heaven Hill Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1717. Old Fitzgerald 9yr Bottled In Bond 2011
- Review #1712. Larceny Barrel Proof Batch A120
- Review #1604. Evan Williams Single Barrel
- Review #1505. Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond 13yr Limited Edition 2005 Fall Release
- Review #1483. Parkers Heritage Collection 8yr Rye
- Review #1465. Elijah Craig Small Batch Tippins Selection
- Review #1462. Elijah Craig Small Batch Raleigh Bourbon and Banter Selection
- Review #1459. Elijah Craig Small Batch Cedar Hills Beaverton Selection
- Review #1441. Elijah Craig Rye
- Review #1435. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C919