The Schtick: This is a combination of mashbills from an undisclosed distiller containing a wheated mashbill and a high rye mashbill. This combination is then finished for 6 months in French oak barrels. No age statement here, but this expression is bottled at 48% ABV. Let’s get to it.
Disclosure: LuxRow asked me to review this, and sent some along.
Distiller: Heaven Hill
Bottler: Lux Row
Brand: Daviess County
ABV: 48% ABV
Age: 4 Years
Nose: Sweet and spicy all at once. Fudge, caramel and zesty pepper play nicely with each other. Much more complex than the Cabernet finished expression – at least on the nose.
Taste: Thin on the palate, though there are plenty of flavors to be greeted with. Vanilla and caramel hit first, before a spicy pepper, clove and oak presence sink in. The finish is very apparent here as the sweet notes find a companion in more savory notes as well. Heat is perhaps a tinge too aggresive, but far from punishing.
Finish: Long finish with lots of pepper, clove, tobacco, oak and honey. Huge improvement over the cabernet and the regular bourbon release in a demonstrated increase in complexity and lots of flavor to ascertain.
Overall: I quite like this expression, and find it to be the best of the three in this set of whiskeys from Daviess County. In a cage match between the three expressions: Straight Bourbon, Cabernet Sauvignon Finish and French Oak Finish, this is the handy winner in my opinion.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Heaven Hill Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1740. Daviess County Straight Bourbon
- Review #1737. Daviess County Cabernet Finished Bourbon
- Review #1717. Old Fitzgerald 9yr Bottled In Bond 2011
- Review #1712. Larceny Barrel Proof Batch A120
- Review #1604. Evan Williams Single Barrel
- Review #1505. Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond 13yr Limited Edition 2005 Fall Release
- Review #1483. Parkers Heritage Collection 8yr Rye
- Review #1465. Elijah Craig Small Batch Tippins Selection
- Review #1462. Elijah Craig Small Batch Raleigh Bourbon and Banter Selection
- Review #1459. Elijah Craig Small Batch Cedar Hills Beaverton Selection