The Schtick: Spey Fumare is an interesting limited release, comprised of only 3,000 bottles. Distilled from peated barley and bottled without any coloring, this light, smoky bottle has some weight to it. Literal weight. I’m looking forward to giving this a go, as this isn’t currently available here and the weather is turning crisp. Let’s dive in.
Disclosure: Quest Brands asked me to review this, and sent some along.
Bottler: Speyside Distillers
Brand: Speyside Distillers
ABV: 46% ABV
Nose: Plum, lemon, honey. Quite pleasant on the nose, even when the peat storms in. Lightly vegetal peat, some nice oceanic notes to it – brine, salt, a hint of minerality blending nicely with the initial sweetness. Lemon bar, fresh rising bread, light toffee notes are present as well.
Taste: Thin to medium mouth feel on the palate, immediately the peat is present but well integrated. Bonfire, a hint of ash, some stone and gravel with lemon curd, honey and a bright creme brulee character. Heat is in check, and it coats the palate nicely after some time.
Finish: Long finish – lots more dessert and peat here. Fresh vanilla bean, savory mineral peat, honey and pralines.
Overall: The balance of peat, spirit and barrel charachter come together really nicely for when you want to enjoy something peated, devoid of risk of toasting your palate for the next 48 hours.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Various Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1727. L’Encantada XO
- Review #1634. Scotch Malt Whisky Society Big Swirl Blended Batch 07
- Review #1523. Barrell Rum NASA Liquor Selection
- Review #1451. Compass Box Great King Street Single Marrying Cask NY State Edition
- Review #1448. Compass Box Great King Street Single Marrying Cask Unholy Triumvirate Cask #31
- Review #1445. Compass Box Great King Street Single Marrying Cask Unholy Triumvirate Cask #68
- Review #1442. Compass Box Great King Street Single Marrying Cask Unholy Triumvirate Cask #10
- Review #1439. Compass Box Great King Street Single Marrying Cask Unholy Triumvirate Cask #1
- Review #1412. Spey Royal Dusty Blended Scotch Whiskey
- Review #1393. Deadwood Rye