The Schtick: Smokehead is an interesting entry to the Scotch market. Marketed as a peat bomb select for the “Smokeheads” of the market who simply can’t get enough peat, this whiskey is more than satisfied in being a polarizing outlier to other, more pedestrian, bottlings. We’re not told who distilled it, but we’re told it’ll be smoky. I think that sets the stage properly, so let’s get into this one. The seasons are changing here in Wisconsin with warm middays but cold / crisp evenings, and that’s about when I find myself craving peat, so this bottling is officially in season for me. Let’s dive in.
Disclosure: Quest Brands asked me to review this, and sent some along.
ABV: 43% ABV
Nose: Whew, smoky indeed. Praline, toffee, a strong brine hit. Moss, honey, satisfying pepper component. Pretty complex, with an unexpected sweetness to the nose that fares well with the peat.
Taste: Sweet cream initially, some honey, toffee and acrid peppery smoke. A hint of plastic, minerality, and ethanol.
Finish: Short finish, though satisfying with ethanol, chocolate, ash and some honey.
Overall: The nose is the best part of this release for me -super complex, though the palate and finish were just good. I’ll comment that I think more proof here would do great things. I have the Sherry Bomb and High Voltage review coming up as well, so hopefully that 58% solves my critique of this bottling. Overall, this is performing well for what it is and what it costs, at least here. Pairs nicely with some fire pit and a crisp fall evening after dinner.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Undisclosed Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1724. Cadenheads Old Raj Gin
- Review #1710. Goodwyn Company Gin
- Review #1704. Green House Gin
- Review #1669. Mugshot II Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Blend
- Review #1606. Plantation Jamaica 2002 Grand Terroir
- Review #1597. Rolling Fork 11yr Rum
- Review #1589. Four Gate Whiskey Company Foundation Batch 3
- Review #1554. Grangestone 12yr Scotch Whiskey
- Review #1552. Navazos Palazzi Ron 2020 23yr Rum
- Review #1524. Bozal Sacatoro