Distiller: Heaven Hill
Bottler: Heaven Hill
Brand: Old Fitzgerald
ABV: 50% ABV
Age: 15 Years
Nose: Toffee, oak, brown sugar and a hint of toffee. Some pecan, rich honey, a little bit of berry (cherry, raspberry) with some cocoa. Not pungently tannic, though the oak is hard to miss, but it pars well with the sweet notes and fruit.
Taste: Rich on the palate, a hair bitter initially but loaded with cocoa, rich cream, brown butter and molasses. Overall, fairly balanced, and nice to see the oak present but not dominating. 15 years is fairly old for bourbon, and over-oaking was a concern of mine, but it’s not a concern with the amount of sweet, rich, dessert notes are present.
Finish: Medium finish with sticky toffee pudding, a hint of cherry, and lots of molasses to pair with a final oaky punch.
Overall: Heaven Hill’s dialed in these releases now and I love to see it. This is wheated bourbon done right, with plenty of character, ABV, oak structure and a great nose. I’m sold.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Heaven Hill Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1746. Old Fitzgerald 14yr Bottled in Bond 2005
- Review #1743. Daviess County French Oak Finished Bourbon
- Review #1740. Daviess County Straight Bourbon
- Review #1737. Daviess County Cabernet Finished Bourbon
- Review #1717. Old Fitzgerald 9yr Bottled In Bond 2011
- Review #1712. Larceny Barrel Proof Batch A120
- Review #1604. Evan Williams Single Barrel
- Review #1505. Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond 13yr Limited Edition 2005 Fall Release
- Review #1483. Parkers Heritage Collection 8yr Rye
- Review #1465. Elijah Craig Small Batch Tippins Selection