The Schtick: A part of the new 2020 release, this is the 2nd batch of Makers Mark Cask Strength bourbon whiskey landing. In 2020, Makers has elected to give their Cask Strength releases batch numbers, no doubt in an effort to remain in parity with their competitors. Regardless, this is a NAS expression bottled at 55.2% ABV and a recent market wide price drop encouraged me to snag one. Let’s get to it.
Distiller: Makers Mark
Bottler: Makers Mark
Brand: Makers Mark
ABV: 55.2% ABV
Nose: Rich butter, light cinnamon, toffee, brown butter and some pepper. The ratio of savory sweets to cinnamon makes me happy here, as I’m not the biggest fan of cinnamon heavy wheaters.
Taste: Medium mouth feel, heat very much in check. Plenty of caramel, some praline, a nice honey note. Soft brown butter, toffee, and sweet overall. This carries the proof very nicely, with a bit more complexity than I remember from MMCS.
Finish: Long finish. The heat is a bit more evident here, hot indeed, but far from excessive. Waffle cone is the first note in the finish that jumps out to me, followed by more regulars like buttery cream, toffee and some cinnamon.
Overall: This is really a breath of fresh air. It’s been some time since I’ve had MMCS, and this is far better than my memories. Whether it’s the batch, a renewed interest in quality, or something else – this is hitting plenty of great strides. The finish could use a tiny bit of work, but all good things here so far, and I look forward to buying up other 2020 batches to compare.
Thanks for reading!
10 Most Recent Makers Mark Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1415. Makers Mark RC6
- Review #1236. Makers Mark Private Selection Emporium Kitchen and Wine Selection
- Review #996. Makers Mark Private Selection Washington State Selection
- Review #994. Makers Mark Private Selection Tavern Hall Selection
- Review #991. Makers Mark Private Selection Makers Mark Tasting Panel Selection
- Review #988. Makers Mark Private Selection Mexi Cali Mocha Selection (Pt.2)
- Review #986. Makers Mark Private Selection Bill Samuels Jr. Selection (Pt.2)
- Review #984. Makers Mark Private Selection Bar Myx Selection
- Review #982. Makers Mark Private Selection K&L Wines Selection
- Review #980. Makers Mark Private Selection Bill Samuels Jr. Selection