The Schtick: This is a 20 year old bottling of distillate produced at The Glenrothes and bottled by the Scotch Malt Whisky Society after spending 20 years in an ex-sherry 2nd fill butt.
Distiller: The Glenrothes
Bottler: SMWS (Scotch Malt Whisky Society)
Designation: 30.100 | An abundance of fruit cake
ABV: 56.5% ABV
Age: 20 Years
Bottle: One of 636
Maturation: 2nd Fill Sherry Butt
Nose: Syrup, honey, toffee. Incredibly rich sherry. Nutty, figs, dates, nougat. Caramel, vanilla cream, sweet cocoa.
Taste: Thick, rich. Raisins, honey, toffee, sherry. Caramel, nougat, dates, figs. Sweet, buttery popcorn. Some heat. One of the richest mouth feels that I have experienced yet. There’s some heat here, though.
Finish: Long, the richness continues. A bit of heat. Super sweet, loaded with honey roasted peanuts, caramel, toffee, nougat. Nutty, sweet sherry. Rich figs, dates, fruits out the wazoo.
Overall: If it weren’t for the heat in the palate / finish this would be a 10/10. That said, the richness is incredible here. The fruits are intense and the caramel / nougat sherry influence is just bonkers. Well done on this barrel, SMWS, well done.
Thanks for reading!
Other Glenrothes I Have Reviewed:
- Signatory Vintage The Glenrothes 11yr
- The Glenrothes Sherry Cask Reserve
- The Glenrothes State of Kansas Single Cask #5578
- Signatory Vintage Unchillfiltered Collection The Glenrothes 17yr
- The Glenrothes 10yr Abbey Whiskey Single Cask #5469
- Scotch Malt Whisky Society 30.87 The Glenrothes 14yr “A Skinny Dipping Dram