The Schtick: This is a sourced whiskey that is aged in ex-bourbon barrels, hence the American Whiskey designation, rather than a bourbon designation.
This is Day #16 in the Craft Whiskey Crackdown. Here is the terrain covered thus far:
- Day 1, Big House Bourbon
- Day 2, Kings County Bourbon
- Day 3, Johnny Drum Private Stock
- Day 4, John J. Bowman Single Barrel
- Day 5, Rye Royal 20yr
- Day 6, Big Bottom Bourbon
- Day 7, Copper Pony Rye, 6mo
- Day 8, Hayes Parker Bourbon, 6mo
- Day 9, Winchester Rye, 6mo
- Day 10, Winchester Straight Bourbon, 2yr
- Day 11, Winchester Extra Smooth Bourbon
- Day 12, Willett Pot Still
- Day 13, Hooker’s House Sonoma Style High Rye Pinot Noir Finished Bourbon
- Day 14, Knox Whiskey Works 70/30 Single Barrel, MC”s Selection
- Day 15, Homestead Barrel Proof
Distiller: Undisclosed Distiller
Bottler: Royal Wine Corp | Boondocks Spirit Co
ABV: 63.5% ABV
Age: 11 Years
Nose: Caramel, passion fruit. Honey, vanilla, waffle cone. Spirit-y, but not punishing. Some banana. Some oak.
Taste: Medium mouth feel. Shockingly light, not a ton of heat. Vanilla, cream, faint oak, pepper. Burnt plastic, astringency. Some fruits.
Finish: Medium length, but very hot. Bananas foster, vitamins, oak, pepper, cream.
Overall: I think the nose was the best part. I enjoyed the other parts but they were pretty astringent and thin, all things considered. That said, I’ve had far worse on this journey.
Thanks for reading!