The Schtick: This is a limited edition release from Stranahan’s in Colorado. They distill American single malt whiskey, and often sport fun maturations, finishes, and blends for the Snowflake releases. Named Quandary Peak, this is their twentieth release. It begins by being matured for 24 months in new oak barrels, and then goes off to be finished in a variety of casks before being blended back together.
This is Day #24 in the Craft Whiskey Crackdown. Here is the terrain covered thus far:
- Day 1, Big House Bourbon
- Day 2, Kings County Bourbon
- Day 3, Johnny Drum Private Stock
- Day 4, John J. Bowman Single Barrel
- Day 5, Rye Royal 20yr
- Day 6, Big Bottom Bourbon
- Day 7, Copper Pony Rye, 6mo
- Day 8, Hayes Parker Bourbon, 6mo
- Day 9, Winchester Rye, 6mo
- Day 10, Winchester Straight Bourbon, 2yr
- Day 11, Winchester Extra Smooth Bourbon
- Day 12, Willett Pot Still
- Day 13, Hooker’s House Sonoma Style High Rye Pinot Noir Finished Bourbon
- Day 14, Knox Whiskey Works 70/30 Single Barrel, MC”s Selection
- Day 15, Homestead Barrel Proof
- Day 16, Boondocks Cask Strength American Whiskey
- Day 17, Old Forge Cask Strength Single Barrel Bourbon, McScrooge’s Selection
- Day 18, David James 10yr Straight American Whiskey
- Day 19, 1816 Chattanooga Cask Whiskey McScrooge’s Selection
- Day 20, Virgin Bourbon 7yr
- Day 21, Balcones Texas Single Malt
- Day 22, Balcones Baby Blue
- Day 23, St. George Single Malt Whisky
Today is the final day of the Craft Whiskey Crackdown, at least for this year. Watch for the write up / wrap up to hit soon.
Distiller: Stranahan’s (Colorado)
ABV: 47% ABV
Nose: Bright, effervescent, perfume-y. Floral and fruity. Caramel, honey, jam.
Taste: Medium mouth feel. Sweet, bready, lots of fruits. Some heat. Apples, pears, light oak. Not a ton going on here, but it’s fruity and sweet.
Finish: Medium, some heat. Vanilla, apples, pears, faint brown sugar.
Overall: This was really interesting in that it sported quite the variety of flavors but it didn’t really find it’s pace. I know that sound ambiguous, but there’s a lot of fruits here and that seems to be about it, in the end.
Thanks for reading!
Other Stranahan’s Snowflake Releases I Have Reviewed:
- Stranahan’s Snowflake: Mount Evans
- Stranahan’s Snowflake: Long’s Peak
- Stranahan’s Snowflake: Crestone Peak