The Schtick: This is the lower most entry in Buffalo Trace’s Weller line of expressions – wheated bourbons sold under the William Larue Weller (and various permutations) name.
Distiller: Buffalo Trace
Bottler: Buffalo Trace
ABV: 45% ABV
Nose:Cinnamon, clove, red hot candies. Ethanol. Faint caramel.
Taste: Thin, hot cinnamon. Clove, pepper, faint oak. Bitter with mild astringency.
Finish: Short, hot. Cinnamon, faint caramel. Really one dimensional.
Overall: Overall, this is clearly young, and a bit too hot. A one noted profile also cripples it in comparison to other wheated bourbons I have tried and enjoyed. I would put this on par with Larceny and Old Fitzgerald Prime, but don’t find it as good as Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond. The heat and cinnamon forward formula would make this a nice complement to many classic cocktail recipes, given the budget pricing, as well.
Thanks for reading!
Other Weller Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Weller 12yr
- Old Weller Antique, Liquor Outlet Selection
- William Larue Weller 2015
- William Larue Weller 2016
- Old Weller Antique, Gonomo Selection
- Old Weller Antique
- Old Weller Antique, Kentucky Bourbon Festival Selection
- Old Weller Antique, Plumpjack NCF Selection
- Old Weller Antique, Florida ABC Selection
- Old Weller Antique, The Last Word Golden Ticket Selection
- Old Weller Antique, Brigante NCF Selection