The Schtick: This is a private selection of Old Weller Antique. It is non-chill filtered. It was selected by the Annapolis Whiskey Society
Distiller: Buffalo Trace
Bottler: Buffalo Trace
ABV: 53.5% ABV
Nose: Honey, tobacco, sweet cream. Corn syrup, toffee, tobacco, some rich pepper. Some ethanol and some peanut brittle. Not at all funky, leaning towards sweet.
Taste: Medium to thick mouth feel. No real heat. Sweet honey, light fruits, toffee. Diminished cinnamon compared to most OWA, with tobacco, pepper, and light earthiness.
Finish: Long, rich, not a lot of heat here either. Lots of sweet dessert-y notes like waffle cone, caramel, vanilla cream and some pepper and oak. The oak presence helps offset the sweets without dipping into the red hots cinnamon territory that I don’t enjoy in OWA.
Overall: This is really a very nice selection. I put this up there with a Plumpjack pick I had many months ago. This accentuates the things I enjoy about OWA selections and suppresses the things that make me dislike OWA in general.
Thanks for reading!
Other Weller Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Weller 12yr
- Old Weller Antique, Liquor Outlet Selection
- William Larue Weller 2015
- William Larue Weller 2016
- Old Weller Antique, Gonomo Selection
- Old Weller Antique
- Old Weller Antique, Kentucky Bourbon Festival Selection
- Old Weller Antique, Plumpjack NCF Selection
- Old Weller Antique, Florida ABC Selection
- Old Weller Antique, The Last Word Golden Ticket Selection
- Old Weller Antique, Brigante NCF Selection
- Weller Special Reserve